1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Memorial Day

Memorial Day was begun to honor those who were killed in the Civil War, and known as Decoration Day.  After World War One it was expanded to remember all who have died in war.  The name was changed and the date of the last Monday in May was established by congress.  During the past century, the celebration gradually expanded to include all the deceased and the day became a popular time to clean the church yard cemeteries.  
On Saturday the 14th I attended two visitations/memorial services.  One was for a preacher acquaintance the same age as me. The other was for the wife of a preacher who was a school mate of mine in college and long time friend.  These joined a growing list of my family and friends who have moved on to the next life.  So Memorial Day becomes more and more a personal event.                                                      
Also, Memorial Day is a reminder that this life is not forever.  No matter our age, life can come to an end quite suddenly, as it did for my minister friend who preached on Sunday and was gone before the following Sunday; and as it did for those victimized in the tornadoes.
I turned 76 years of age a few days ago.  This means, I have to admit, that I must be classified as “elderly,” although I don’t think of myself as elderly.  But I recognize that, being past three score and ten, the time I have left is growing shorter.  So, as I remember those family and friends who are gone, I am grateful to God for my continued survival and for His current purpose and leadership to me.  And I also reflect on what I have been given.  I am thankful for family and friends I have had and now have.  I am thankful for the journey on which the Lord has led me.  I am thankful for the prospects of each new day and the opportunities it presents.  And I am thankful, that when my time comes, I know where I’ll be going and that I will experience a wonderful new life we cannot now imagine.         
                       
What about you ? 

Grace and peace.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! My name is Vicky and I work with Julie! Happy Belated Birthday! I also have a blog about my China Adoption! www.expectingsomethingsobigfromgod.blogspot.com if you ever want to check it out!

    Oh, I love working with Julie, she is a wonderful person, I know you must be extremely proud of her!

    ReplyDelete