1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Praying for the Council

             I gave the opening Invocation for the Birmingham City Council meeting this past Tuesday week.  I appreciated the invitation and was glad to be there to represent our Lord and Central Park Baptist Church.  But the invitation presented me with a dilemma, “What do you pray for at the city council meeting.”
            Considering the state of local politics, many things suggested themselves to me.  But my opinion is that one should not pray a political prayer at a political meeting.  After all, God knows what would be best for the city.  But men, including myself, can certainly disagree on God’s opinion or leadership.   So I did not pray concerning any issues facing the city or council.  Neither did I thank God for my "smoking hot wife," nor end with "In Jesus Name, bogady, bogady, bogady," as did the fellow who prayed for an auto race.
            What I prayed was for the council to be guided by God’s wisdom, whether they want to be so guided or not.  I also prayed that God will bless the city and its people through their efforts.  And I prayed for God’s mercy and grace on the council members and their families.  God certainly knows they need it.
            And looking at the scene in the city, the county, the state and the nation, we all need to pray mightily for our leaders.  God has the answers to all our problems.  We must pray that our leaders discern His will, not their own or that of their political party.

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment