1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Now I Know

            Over the years I have visited with, prayed with and sought to comfort hundreds of people with pneumonia.  Until last week I did not know for what I was praying.  I had never had pneumonia.  But as some of you already know, it was my turn.
            On Saturday I experienced a severe exhaustion.  Sunday I was still exhausted but went to the church for a deacons meeting and the worship service.  That afternoon I had a teeth chattering chill that lasted five hours.  Liz also said I was running a fever although we did not check it.  Monday morning I felt some better and went to the tennis court, but I was out of it.  Finally going to the doctor, the clinic diagnosed pneumonia, and the doctor put me in the hospital for two days of IV antibiotics, which I continued by mouth after release.
            To say the least, the experience was one of the worst I have ever known.  For days I was beset by weakness, breathlessness, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping and I could not concentrate or work at the desk.  In fact, I didn’t have the motivation to try.
            The episode reminded me of how vulnerable and frail we humans happen to be.  At the height of our strength, we need the Lord’s help.  And when we are weak we need Him more.  And the promise of His help is ours.  “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”  (Isaiah 40:31)  And I thank Him for the antibiotics I continue to take, antibiotics discovered and produced by men but inspired by Him.

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment