1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

HIRING PRIESTS


            Unemployment in Alabama is around 8% or almost one in every ten is looking for a job.  If you think this is bad, consider Spain, were current unemployment is 24%, or one in every four is looking.
            The Roman Catholic Church is seeking to take advantage of the situation to recruit priests.  Television ads describe the advantages of the priesthood, i.e. a guaranteed job for life, security, opportunity to help others, etc.  The results aren’t too encouraging.  A radio commentator stated that many in the population are not religious and that young men are reluctant to sign a pledge of celibacy.
            The recruiting effort is ill advised anyway.  The priesthood, or ministry, is not a “job.”  It has been said that being a pastor is the worst job in the world, but the greatest calling in the world.  Anyone who counts ministry as a job will not do a very good job.  The ministry is a God called endeavor.  Many testify that they ran from it until God chased them down and compelled them in their call.  Regrettably, many were “mommy called” or “daddy called” or went into ministry for various other reasons than a genuine call from God.
            It wasn’t necessary for God to pursue or subdue me.  At age 17 I became aware that God was calling me to ministry.  Although.considering a degree and career in broadcasting, I knew in my heart that I would not be happy in that or any other pursuit.  I committed to the call in my senior year of High School and have never doubted it.  Only once, during a spell of clinical depression, did I consider changing the arena of ministry from the pastorate to another form.  Once the depression lifted, I was convinced anew that I was where I was supposed to be.  I’ve served several radically different churches, each with its own challenges.  But the journey has been one of great happiness and reward.  I supposedly “retired” fourteen years ago, but the call his not been cancelled.  That’s why I have served four more churches as interim pastor and two as regular pastor, currently serving as senior pastor of Central Park Baptist Church in Birmingham.
            Seeking to serve in ministry without a deep seated and genuine call from God, most often results in unhappiness and in many who leave the ministry. Sometimes in your prayer time, thank God for all the men and women who have a genuine call into ministry.  May their tribe increase!
            .

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment