1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hello Again

     It has been four months since my last post. For thirty days I was in South Africa with my son-in-law Todd Heifner and my grandson Deason. When I arrived back home in the middle of February it took a month to get things back together. And it is so easy to put off something not required like a blog. But I hope now to be a regular blogger.
    It was a treat to spend a month on mission and traveling with two really neat guys. I was blown away by the vastness of the country and its beauty. South Africa is full of prairies, rolling hills, mountains, rivers and beaches. South Africa has become a modern nation with large cities and a strong economy. But also poverty is everywhere, in the cities and out in the countryside.
     Our mission was to some of the poorest people I have encountered, although I understand that conditions are worse in some other slums around the world. Most of these people are locked into poverty with little hope of escaping it. But despite the conditions in which they live, the children were like children elsewhere. The were full of life and laughed easily. Working with them was a joy.
     Bolstered also was my admiration for missionaries who leave the comforts of the U.S. to work in some of the most difficult situations. These, and those that came before them, are the reason that Christianity is growing faster in Africa than anywhere else in the world. May God bless them and their work.

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment