1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Getting Fit

             The month of January each year sees a spike in enrollments in gyms and fitness centers.  Evidently a lot of people make resolutions or decisions to get into shape or lose weight.  The reality is that many do not stick with their decisions and slip back into their old lifestyle.  It takes a highly motivated person to stick with it.  Often what they need is a complete change in lifestyle, not just a burst of resolution.  And I, for one, know how difficult that is to achieve. 
            The same is true of our spiritual lives.  Many people make new commitments to the Lord during revival meetings.  Others come through a crisis or physical trauma with a new resolution to live for the Lord.  Often the same happens with their burst of spiritual resolution.  They slip back into their former lifestyle.
            Paul reminds us that we are after an “imperishable crown.”  And he says therefore, “I run thus, not with uncertainty.  Thus I fight, not as one who beats the air.  But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”  (1 Corinthians 9:26-27)
            The quest for that imperishable crown is a 24/7 discipline to be and do all Christ wants us to be and do.  And, in like manner, the quest for a strong and healthy body is a 24/7 discipline.  I haven’t developed that lifestyle yet, but I’m working on it, even as I continue to develop the spiritual lifestyle I desire and which, I am sure, Christ desires for me.
            May He give more power to you and to me this year.

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment