1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

COMPUTERS


             I was dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age in the early l990’s when the church staff in Pensacola took away my typewriter and put a computer on my desk.  In order to work with the office staff and prepare my columns and other materials, I was forced to use MS DOS, the operating system for the computer.  A few years later the church went to Windows and I had to learn it.  Then the church logged on to the internet, and again I faced a learning curve.  When I moved my major office to my residence, I took my computer with me and subscribed to an internet service to enable me to still participate with the office staff.
            My children and grandchildren carry a computer in their pockets, their iPhones.  They browse the internet wherever they are, send and receive email, text messages and I don’t know what all else.  The advancement of computers and the internet over just two decades is truly amazing.
            I am still behind the curve.  But last weekend, during the sales tax free holiday, I invested in a lap top computer.  It is on the lower end of the cost and power spectrum, but is equal to or greater than the three year old computer on my desk. I’m still working on understanding everything about it, but I’m getting there.
            The computer age has been revolutionary for everyone, including preachers.  I can hardly prepare a sermon now without the internet. The internet has a plethora of Bible dictionaries, concordances, commentaries and other Bible helps, all available with a couple of clicks of the mouse.  Of course I could always go back to the old books again, but what a drag.  Also, with search engines you can find information you need on any subject, information which is more up to date than any printed encyclopedia.
            Considering what man has accomplished, there is no room to doubt all the many things that God has made or accomplished.  “Many, O Lord, are Your wonderful works which You have done.”  (Psalm 40:5)

Grace and peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment