1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Monday, August 13, 2012

OLYMPICS


            As of this past week the summer Olynpics are gone once again for four years.  I watched the highlights on the news reports, but not much of the actual competitions. But not only the games and competitions were covered. The stories of many of the athletes were highlighted. Some overcame great odds to become Olympians. Also highlighted was the extreme training some of the athletes endured to get into their best physical shape for the competition. I’ve never been an athlete, and never endured athletic level training.  But my brush with training was in physical education in high school.  So I know what it is like to exercise until you think you are going to drop. I know what it is to have muscles so sore that you can hardly move. Therefore, as I watched the potential Olympians going through their training, I had great sympathy for them along with great admiration for their willingness to undertake it.
            As I watched them, I was reminded of Paul’s words to the Corinthians. “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”  (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)
            Christians often think that the race is over, we already have the prize, i.e. new life in Christ.  But we must still present ourselves to our coach and judge. We need to “run in such a way as to get the prize.”  That prize will be the commendation of Christ, “well done good and faithful servant.” (Matthew 25:21)

Grace and peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment