1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Monday, November 26, 2012

SEEING CLEARLY


           Tomorrow morning(Wednesday the 28th) I am scheduled to have a cataract removed from my right eye. In that I have clear vision in the left eye, I put up with the cataract for several years, but it has become so problematic I finally asked my Doctor to remove it, which he had volunteered to do years back.
            I am grateful that today the operation is considered minor and does not require any special recovery. When I began in ministry fifty years ago, I would visit patients who had cataracts removed and they had to lie on their backs with their head between two sand bags, immobile, for TWO WEEKS.
            I hope afterwards to sing “I can see clearly now the fog has gone.” But what I and others really need is an operation to open our spiritual eyes. Like the blind men said to Jesus, “Lord, that our eyes may be opened.” (Matthew 20:33) God has given us new eyes in Christ Jesus, but so often we do not discern His will in our particular situation or see His glory in current events. Our song should be the hymn, “Open my eyes, that I may see glimpses of truth Thou hast for me.”
            Speaking of spiritual sight, I love the old story of the little lady, who when called on to pray in her small church, always prayed the same prayer, “Lord remove the cobwebs from our eyes so we can see you more clearly.” She prayed the same prayer every time until she was finally interrupted by a man who cried out, “No Lord, don’t do it! Please kill the spider!”
            Maybe that’s what we need to do, kill the spider.
 
Grace and peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment