1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Monday, November 12, 2012

SUPERSTITIONS


            Over Halloween a T.V. segment reported that 52% of the U.S. population is superstitious. These are people who will not walk under a ladder, who will not sit on seat 13 or row 13, who avoid black cats, who knock on wood to drive away evil spirits, etc. etc. . There was a time, however, when I was among them. I wouldn’t have admitted to it, but I avoided walking under ladders, stepping on a sidewalk crack, etc. After all, why take a chance?
            Searching online reveals dozens and dozens of superstitions.  Some are familiar (i.e. lucky four leaf clovers, lucky horseshoes, lucky rabbits feet, some of spilled salt tossed over the left shoulder to avoid bad luck, breaking a mirror brings seven years of bad luck). I was reminded of the old one that it was unlucky to light three cigarettes on one match.
            But, many years ago, when I began to examine such things in view of what I claimed to believe, I saw that such superstitions are a denial of faith. In Proverbs 3:5-6 we are told to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your path.” Our days and each moment are in the hands of God, not subject to luck, spirits, or superstition.
            Now I walk under ladders without a second thought. I don’t have any prejudice against black cats and consider the number 13 as no different as any other number. When something good happens I praise the Lord. When something bad happens, I turn to the Lord for help and understanding. I seek to trust Him with every event, with every moment.
            Living this way gives one confidence and peace of mind. So let us trust in the Lord with all our heart. 

Grace and peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment