1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

DRIVING ALERT


            Oldest grandson, Graham, celebrated his fifteenth birthday June 22nd. As all other children of this generation, the first order of business was to secure his learner’s permit which will allow him to legally drive the roadways in Alabama. In our day there was no such thing as a learner’s permit. And today’s kids find it amazing that I was eighteen and a high school graduate when I finally got a driver’s license. (Big family and one automobile.)
            I rejoice in seeing Graham mature and move into more liberties and responsibilities. But I am also quite concerned with this new step. Traffic accidents are the leading cause of teen age deaths. Seven teens ages 16 to 19 die every day from motor vehicle injuries.
            I trust Graham completely. He is responsible, he does not use drugs or alcohol and, I think, he has enough sense to not let his smart phone distract him. But your experience and my experience teach us that the roadways are treacherous. We can’t control what other drivers do and there are plenty out there who are not responsible.
 So I will pray an umbrella of divine protection for him, as I have always prayed, but particularly now when he is behind the wheel. And we have the biblical promise, “He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.” (Psalm 91:11)  As I write this I remember an old rhyme from the “Burma Shave” signs along the highways: “The angels who guard you while you drive usually retire at fifty five.” I guess in this day of the interstates we need to revise it to “seventy five.”

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment