1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

IS GOD ON YOUR SIDE?


             I don’t know how many times recently I’ve heard someone say, “Surely God must be on Auburn’s side”, considering the “miraculous” last minute wins over Georgia and Alabama. Liz (Auburn fan) and I (Alabama fan) agree, however, that God does not favor any team above others, professional or amateur, in any sport. Instead we must look at ability, preparation, intensity and other factors. Also, some old fashioned luck must be included.
            We are taught in scripture that God is no respecter of persons, that he treats everyone the same. He plays no favorites. But for every person God is a helper. For every team He is a helper. “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10) That promise is for every person and every team.
            I have no problem when a player points up to the sky or crosses himself after an extremely good play. He is giving praise to God for His gifting him with ability and for giving him the opportunity to make a play. He is not necessarily claiming special or exclusive favor from God. He is doing what we all need to do, giving God the glory. 
             And if Alabama can't be national champs, Auburn should be. We need to keep the championship in state for the fifth straight year. :-)

Grace and Peace

 

No comments:

Post a Comment