1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

DUSTING OF SNOW?


                  I am writing this after arriving home this afternoon (Thursday January, 30). I spent the last two nights away due to the snowstorm which hit on Tuesday. I was downtown when the roads became choked and impassable so I walked to UAB hospital and got some lunch in the cafeteria, and then went over into Kirkland Clinic. Gratefully the clinic allowed some of us stranded people to stay overnight in the hallways of the second floor. They provided blankets and pillows for people to “sleep” in the waiting room chairs. They also provided food that evening and Wednesday morning. Wednesday we were advised to continue to stay off the roadways. I received an emergency supply of necessary medications (with a four hour wait and terrible price at the Kirkland pharmacy). Wednesday night I spent with a gracious friend on the Southside. By mid morning I walked back to my auto and the instate highways were all open. So I made it home by lunchtime.

                We all, of course, had to put up with the two inch snow that paralyzed our city. We are just not equipped for such a storm. The stories of many people were worse than mine, i.e. abandoning vehicles and walking for miles and miles through the snow.

                There are plus sides to the storm. One was the beauty of the snow covered earth to us southerners. Another was the stillness and quiet. Everything stopped. Places we thought we needed to go and things we thought we needed to do had to be postponed. For most of us, we just needed to be still like the world outside. It was like God saying to us, “Be still, and know that I am God…” (Psalm 46:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment