1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Monday, June 2, 2014

A RARE HAPPENING


            Fifty-four years ago I had the privilege of presiding at the wedding of my brother, Bill, and his bride, Evelyn Connell. Then twenty-four years later I was given the privilege of presiding at the wedding of their daughter, Peggy, and her fiancé, Donnie Helms. And now, two generations later I was invited by Bill’s granddaughter, Katie Helms, to officiate at her marriage to Andrew Gilliam (May31st). I have officiated at the marriages of couples and their child, two generations. This is the first time I have conducted weddings for three generations. Words cannot express how pleased I am to be a part of each of these weddings. I rejoice in the strong Christian families each has produced.

            Bill was present to give away his daughter at her wedding, and I regret he will not be present for the wedding of his granddaughter. He died an early death in the summer of 1999. But wait a minute…he will be present. Having written last week about John MacArthur’s book “The Glory of Heaven,” I reflect that no one really knows what heaven is really like. Many ideas have been suggested by a multitude of people. But one thing of which I am sure is that those people who are there are aware of what is happening on earth. Having described the faith of the Old Testament believers now in heaven, the writer of Hebrews declares “we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses.” Heaven is full of witnesses. One of these is my brother Bill who will certainly witness the wedding of his granddaughter. And I am also convinced that another “Bill” Deason will be a witness, Katie’s great grandfather whom she never knew.

Being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, “let us run with endurance the race which is set before us, looking unto Jesus…” (Hebrews 12:1-2)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment