1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Saturday, February 7, 2015

FRIENDSHIPS


           At almost 80 years of age, I often flip back through memories of good times and of hard times. Doing so brings into focus some friends I haven’t heard from in many years. Alas, they haven’t heard from me either. It has been so long that I wonder if they are still living or are now on the other side with Christ. Those who are as old as me, or almost as old, are in what a pastor friend calls “the check out zone.”
The internet and Facebook have been instrumental in reconnecting with some of them. But in addition, I have decided, rather than wonder where they are or what they are doing; I will systematically attempt to contact them and bring each of us up to date, and renew our friendship.
            I recognize that keeping a friendship alive is my responsibility. I can’t count on someone else doing it. Why should I be the one? I am the one because I value those friendships and thank God for them. And I am blessed by the memories of them.
            The apostle Paul made mission trips all over the Mediterranean world. I imagine that he made hundreds, if not thousands of friends during those trips. I don’t know if he kept up with any of them (no regular postal service, no phone, no email or Facebook). But he remembered them. To the Philippians he wrote, “I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.” (Philippians 1:3)
 
Grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment