1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Friday, March 13, 2015

DO YOU WADDLE?


            The Alabama Baptist newspaper recently had a lead article on obesity, more specific, obesity among pastors. The article quoted a survey that revealed that 30 percent of active pastors are obese. This is beyond “overweight” and is considered a medical problem. The article suggested several ways an individual can cope with the problem. In the list was increased exercise. It has been proven that exercise is the best medicine available for all conditions. In concern for brothers and sisters who are at medical risk because of their obesity, I was contemplating some ways to encourage them.
            About the same time that article came out I read in another publication about a zoo which was facing the same problem…  with its penguins. After a few months of gorging on fish, the penguins at the Asahiyama Zoo on the northern Japanese island of Hakkaido, were becoming obese. The vets prescribed exercise. The zookeepers organized a 30 minute waddle session twice a day. Patrons of the Zoo have flocked there to see the daily penguin waddle.
            Aha! Maybe, instead of a penguin waddle, we can begin a pastor waddle. Twice a day, rise from the desk or forsake one’s activity for a thirty minute walk. Dedicate that time, one hour a day, for the sake of health and longevity. An added benefit is more energy for routine tasks.
           A waddle will do you good also, whoever you are. I know all the excuses for not doing so. I have used them. But I challenge you to begin your own waddle sessions. “I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.” (1 Corinthians 9:27) 

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment