1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

EBOLA


             If you are like me you probably never heard of the Ebola virus until recent weeks. Ebola is transmitted from one person to another or from infected animals through bodily fluids. It is difficult to cure and the last figure I saw was 2400 dead as the virus ravages west Africa. Missionary doctors from the U.S. have contracted it as they treated others. These were flown back to the U.S. and recovered. The epidemic has not been slowed thus far.
            Diseases seemingly come out of nowhere and cause widespread death. HIV/Aids is still claiming many lives in Africa, even though medicines for treatment have been developed. Many lack the medicine or lack information about the disease.
            As I have noted before, we seem quite unable to help in these situations. That, of course, is not true. We can help financially to the extent God enables us. Locally, Eddie Gibson, on the staff of Sardis Baptist is working with Liberians in Birmingham, Al. to collect foodstuffs to Liberia where the Ebola outbreak has interfered with food production and availability. One result of the Ebola crisis is that my prayer list has expanded once again to include those fighting it in west Africa. I believe with all my heart that the Holy Spirit works through dedicated scientists and medical personnel to develop medicines and treatments for all kinds of diseases. Therefore I pray for God’s Spirit to do just that in the Ebola crisis. And I pray that God will help those who are ill, the families of those who succumb to the disease, and those who are ministering to them. Again, I believe with all my heart that God hears and acts in response to prayer. “Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.” (Mark 11:24) 

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment