1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

GOD HEALS


             The Holy Spirit gives gifts of service to all believers. “The Holy Spirit displays God’s power through each of us as a means of helping the entire church.” (1 Corinthians 12:7 TLB)  In this passage the apostle Paul lists the various gifts. Each of us has a gift or gifts which we know or should endeavor to discover. Every Christian is given a gift but it is implied that none is given all the gifts. And we cannot receive a gift on our own. They are given by the Spirit. If I could attain another spiritual gift it would be the gift of healing. When Jesus chose his twelve disciples he gave them the power to heal. (Matthew 10:1)
            Some claim the gift of healing was given only in the first century. Many who have claimed the gift, and famously so on TV and hyped healing crusades, have proven to be false upon investigation. This debate continues.
            I do know and have witnessed God giving miraculous healings in spite of scientific knowledge and hopeless symptoms. I have not seen it in connection to an individual “faith healer.” But I know God can do it. I don‘t know why one is healed and many others are not.
            So often I’ve been in a hospital room overcome with sympathy and wished for the ability to proclaim, “You are healed” or like Jesus “take up your bed and walk.” Alas, I do not have that gift.
            But I do believe God hears and answers prayers. I do not hesitate to pray in faith for His healing touch. I do not hesitate to anoint the sick with oil and, with others, pray for healing. And to His praise I have been granted the privilege of seeing it happen.
            Keep praying. Keep believing. God will act. 

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment