1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

WHO DID YOU PHONE?


           Edward Snowden and his leaking of government surveillance information are still in the news and are considered editorially in the latest issue of Christianity Today. As I understand the issue the government, with other nations, has traced phone calls, emails and other correspondence of all of us. I further understand they have information on who we have phoned, who has phoned us, whom we have emailed and from whom we have received email. They do not have the actual communications, what was said or written, just the traffic information. They do therefore have information on the amount of traffic between people here and radicals in the near east, information I really want them to have.
            It doesn’t bother me for the government to know with whom I’ve been in contact. Now, if I was plotting some action detrimental to the nation or to businesses, or even to individuals, it would bother me for my communications to be tracked. Otherwise, I don’t think any of us should be upset over this kind of government surveillance. It goes back to the truth that we should not be engaged in anything we need to hide.
            Indeed, if we join the psalmist in his desire to, “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer;” (Psalm 19:14) we then need not be concerned even if someone does know the content of our conversations and emails. If it is acceptable to God, surely it will be acceptable to most others.
Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment