1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

ELECTION OVER


            Hurray! The election is over for now. I grew so weary of the political ads. It seemed that ninety five percent of them were negative and personally attacked an opponent. We are told by political analysts that negative ads are more successful than positive ads. I wish it were not so. Positive or negative I grew so tired of these ads that on Wednesday week ago I felt I was released from prison. If you wanted to watch any television offerings in the weeks leading up to Election Day, you were compelled to also watch the ads. I am so glad the election is over for this cycle.
            I trust you exercised your right to vote.  Some say that if you didn’t bother to vote you don’t have the right to complain. The truth is it doesn’t do any good to complain. No matter what you think of the election’s results, those elected are now in charge of our government and deserve our support and prayers. Surveys indicate most citizens are frustrated with the government. The best thing we can do is pray for our leaders, collectively and individually. They need the Holy Spirit to direct them in their decisions. We need the Spirit to protect us from unwise actions of those in power. And prayer is not a wasted effort. We are told in James 5:16 “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.”  I believe that! As I pray I know I have real input into the political process. 

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment