1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is what God wants you to do.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

FORGIVING HACKERS


            I’m sure it has happened to millions of others but you do not pay attention until it happens to you. One afternoon a few weeks ago a virus invaded my computer. I have no idea how it gained access,(I have Norton security and Webroot)but it succeeded in encrypting every one of my saved documents. There was a link which supposedly would allow you to reverse the encryption. I was unable to get the link to work. I have a contract with the Geek Squad, so I took the computer in to the local Best Buy.  They were able to remove the virus and a couple of more but were unable to reverse the encryptions. As a result I lost all my document files. To make it worse the thumb drive I was using for a backup was plugged in at the time and I lost my backup files also. So I lost all my documents. Gratefully my email accounts were OK.
            Thus far the breech in the computer has not been used to gain access into any of our financial accounts. I‘ve kept a close eye on them. It seems the virus is just a malicious plaything for some deranged hacker. Of course I do not know this hacker, or his/her motive. But I am obliged to forgive him his trespass. In teaching his disciples how to pray, Jesus gave them a model prayer. In that prayer He petitions “forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.” (Matthew 6:12) Most interpret this to mean that we be forgiven in the same way or to the same extent that we forgive others. This is sufficient motivation for us to forgive others. So I forgive the hacker. Please don’t do it again. 

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment